Jayaram Jayalalithaa (1948 – 2016) was actress and an Indian Politician, she served as CM for more than 14 years and was 5th longest serving general secretary of AIADMK. She got the nick name of “Amma” and “Puratchi Thalaivi”.
15 Interesting Jayalalithaa Facts
- She was born in Mysore State to Jayaram and Vedavalli (Sandhya) in a Tamil Brahmin Iyengar Family. At birth her name was Komalavali. Her brother was Jayakumar, he died in 1995 of a heart attack.
- She like keeping dogs as pets. However, Julie, a spitz, died in 1998, and she stopped owning dogs as pets.
- She led the party by herself after MGR passed away. Later, in the 1989 state elections, she won 27 seats. She became the first female opposition leader in Tamil Nadu’s legislative assembly.
- When she turned one, she was given the name Jayalalithaa. According to legend, Jayalalithaa derived her name from the names of the two houses she called “Jaya Vilas” and “Lalitha Vilas” in Mysore, where she resided.
- Jayalalithaa’s actress mother Sandhya, whose true name was Vedavathi, forced her to work in the Tamil film industry when she was 15 years old. She joined acting while still a student and a top student in her state.
- Jayalalithaa initially intended to become a lawyer, but her first film was so successful that she quickly gained notoriety.
- The first film starring Jayalalithaa was marketed as “adult only.” She couldn’t view her first movie herself because she was underage and only 15 years old.
- Jayalalithaa appeared in 140 Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada movies. She did, however, star opposite Dharmendra in the successful Hindi film “Izzat.”
- Jayalalithaa’s co-star and mentor MGR, the head of the DMK, drove her into politics. Upon joining, Jaya was appointed the propaganda secretary and nominated for the Rajya Sabha.
- She declined to accept the wage check during her first stint as chief minister because she had “plenty of sources of income.” She received a Re 1 wage as a government employee.
- During Amma’s first tenure as chief minister in 1995, she planned a grandiose wedding for her foster son Sudhagaran that broke all previous records. According to Guinness World Records, a wedding on a 50-acre property in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, was attended by nearly 1.5 lakh guests. More than 1,50,000 visitors were invited, according to the record. The wedding was projected to cost Rs. 10 crores by the I-T Dept.
- Jayalalithaa began training in the Bharatnatyam style of Indian classical dance when she was just 3 years old.
- Jayalalitha enjoyed reading and writing a lot. She was fluent in three languages: Tamil, Hindi, and English. In a Simi Grewal interview, she even sung Hindi songs.
- The well-known politician once went to the Kumbakonam mahamakam event (Kumbh Mela of South India). There was a big gathering of people hoping to see Amma, which led to a stampede in which 50 people perished.
- After 74 days in the hospital, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa passed away in Chennai, according to a press announcement from Apollo Hospitals released at 12:15 a.m. on Monday.
- She was Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister without a portfolio. All of the portfolios were being managed by O.Panneerselvam.
- In 2016, Jayalalithaa was re-elected as chief minister for a second time in a row, making political history in Tamil Nadu.